At Puerto Azul Boutique Resort & Marina, we put People & Planet first in all of our operations. We work hard to minimize our environmental impact and regularly integrate new technologies and practices that support local communities and businesses, as well as protect the delicate ecosystems of the Puntarenas Estuary and Pacific coast.
Our sustainability commitment includes the following:
- The hot water system of our hotel and restaurant has SOLAR energy.
- We use only biodegradable and ecological cleaning products.
- We use an ecological waste treatment plant to protect the delicate ecosystems of the Puntarenas Estuary and the Pacific Ocean.
- We buy our vegetables, meats, eggs and dairy products from local suppliers.
We only work with artisanal fishermen and purchase fish that are seasonally approved for harvest. In this way, Puerto Azul helps to discourage the fishing of young, spawning or endangered species.
- We support university and women’s initiatives, such as the UNA project to empower women on the Pacific coast through oyster farming.
- We support community initiatives such as the Puntarenas Aquarium and the Marine Rehabilitation Center.
We hire local tour providers with a national license.
We provide our employees with regular training and educational opportunities that further their professional development.
We hire both Costa Ricans and Nicaraguans.